.25 DIY Airgun Project

It’s been a long time since I’ve built a homemade airgun. Recently, I purchased a Barska 4500 psi PCP hand pump. This gave me the incentive to get back into doing my own builds. So far, I’ve made the barrel and action, and have mounted it to my test stock:

My .25 airgun in its infancy
My .25 airgun in its infancy

Let’s watch a couple of shots with it, first with a .22 pellet in a patch:

Not too impressive. I’m still deciding if I’m going to leave it smoothbore. If so, darts will be my ammo of choice. Here’s a test shot with a dart:

By adding an o-ring to the head of the dart, the velocity is boosted to 790 fps, yielding 64 FPE! The o-ring also improves the ammo to bore fit, which should translate to better accuracy.

Nail darts, the o-ring makes a huge difference in efficiency.
Nail darts, the o-ring makes a huge difference in efficiency.

As you can tell, the darts here are very simple. They shoot reasonably well, especially considering the nails are not well made. Here’s a 20 yard group I shot:

20 yd. offhand group at 1200 psi
20 yd. offhand group at 1200 psi

Not too bad, but I really want more. Actually kind of impressive when you consider that the action is held to the stock with four dollar store zip ties. Another problem with this design is the lack of stability when shooting at higher pressures. I’ve been working on a new design that shows great promise when shooting at higher pressures as well as a variety of ranges. Here’s a sneak preview of it:

New dart design
New dart design

I’m going to continue with ammo testing until I’m satisfied. Having extensively tested the action, its time to build a proper stock and firing mechanism. I’ll keep posting updates as I make progress.

Please follow and like us:

Author: admin

I've enjoyed shooting and hunting with airguns since my early teen years. For over ten years, I have shared my passion for airguns on this website.

Leave a Reply